9 Celebrities Who Were Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a genetic and chronic disease that affects the normal function of the lungs and other organs, leading to persistent lung infections and progressive breathing difficulties. Patients with cystic fibrosis experience a series of symptoms, including very salty-tasting skin, persistent coughing with phlegm, frequent lung infections including pneumonia or bronchitis, wheezing or shortness of breath, poor growth or weight gain in spite of a good appetite, frequent greasy, bulky stools or difficulty with bowel movements, and infertility in men. Some patients suffering with CF are celebrities or became celebrities due to their fight against the disease.

1. Alexandra Deford

Alexandra Deford is the daughter of the sports writer Frank Deford and she died in 1980 at just eight-years-old. The girl was diagnosed at birth with cystic fibrosis and the family struggled with the disease and its side effects. The story moved millions of people after it was made public in the form of a book titled “Alex: The Life of a Child.” The book was written by Frank Deford and it was later adapted into a television movie. Despite the fact that it was first published in 1997, the book based on the life of Alexandra remains a reference for patients and families going through the same journey.

“Invariably, and happily, there’s usually someone at each appearance who either brings that book or wants to talk about their connection to cystic fibrosis,” said Deford. “It’s tremendously gratifying to me. Rarely does a week go by that I don’t get a letter about that book. People leave things at her grave. They really do. I have people tell me that she changed their lives. It’s terribly dramatic, but they literally say that. I heard from a woman who became a pediatric nurse after reading the book. Hearing from people like that means more to me than anything.”

2. Alice Martineau

Alice Martineau was a popular British pop singer and cystic fibrosis sufferer who died in 2003 at 30-years-old. During her lifetime, she was a successful singer and model, and she defeated death many times. Despite the young age of her death, Alice Martineau was told on many occasions that she would die much younger. She was also the subject of an hour-long documentary called “The Nine Lives of Alice Martineau,” produced by BBC. Roughly a year before her death, Alice wrote an article for The Daily Telegraph’s Saturday magazine, about the wait for a life-saving triple transplant.

“Even now, I don’t think of myself as being all that ill, but I suppose that I am,” she wrote. “I am attached to a machine that gives oxygen to me day and night. I only digest about two-thirds of what I eat so I also have a tube in my stomach. I have to have three lots of chest physiotherapy a day. I also have a 14-day course of intravenous antibiotics once a month. I also have to swallow about 40 pills a day. Despite all this, I still tell myself that I am not ill – but someone is trying very hard to tell me the opposite.”

3. Andrew Simmons

Andrew Simmons, best known as Andy Boy Simmonz, is a British professional wrestler, who was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. The combination may seem unusual, but Andrew, who was born in 1984, did not settle for the diagnosis and continued to be an active sportsman. He not only pursued a career as a wrestler, but he also achieved success in his sport. He won titles such as the Italian Tag Team titles w/James Tighe, the FWA British Tag Team titles w/Duke of Danger – at Hampton Court, the NCW European title, and CWC All In title. Andrew struggled with cystic fibrosis during his childhood, and he even considered retiring due to medical problems.

In 2006, he shared in a blog post the medical problems he was going through. “Is it really all worth it?
For the past 4 weeks, that’s what I been asking myself,” Andrew Simmons questioned after suffering a lesion in his leg. “I am writing this mainly as I’m not sure yet whether I’ll be coming back to wrestling, I’ve done nearly everything I’d have liked to have done in wrestling, plus a lot more. When I first started my training did I ever think I’ll go abroad on more than 12 different occasions, wrestle for WWE at Wembley Arena, wrestle the finest British wrestlers around and most importantly make some truly great friends.”

1. Reg Shapland says:

How far forward are we my son died aged 5 over 55 years ago my grandson son has it he 25 year old the hoops that DWP made jump through all they think of is how to reduce his benefits so he worry about every little thing he even looks after his partners little girl

2. SeetEi says:

There are some interesting deadlines on this article however I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There’s some validity however I will take hold opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as well http://pcslotsonline.ru

3. Pauline Sweeney says:

My girl passed at 24 years of age of this vile illness , her twin died at 6 months old so I have done it twice , I know ppl who have lost at least 4 children and young adults from one family with this , cf needs to do one xx

4. Jessica says:

My daughter has CF, she is 15 and it is getting harder. She is in this phase of not wanting to do some of her medicines and it is a constant battle with her. I pray every day to keep her healthy but this year alone, she has had 5 hospital stays. I hate this disease and i know she does.

• Kathy cournoyer says:

My daughter is 21 with cf, and did the same thing in her teen years, she wanted to ignore the disease and be normal, now she’s 21 and sorry she did that, she lost alot of weight and her lung function is permanently down, breaks my heart

• Sylvia Wise says:

Please tell your daughter to be sure to not miss any of her meds. This will be of so much benefit to her future. My son is 26 years old and we are waiting for a double lung transplant at duke Hospital now. If he had not kept up with his meds, he would not be able to be in the good condition for a transplant now. Medications are so important and the therapy and exercise to further the future. I hate this disease also. We are praying for a cure for all CF patients.

5. cam says:

This illness is one of the worst. It lets you struggle on and torture you Every step of the way my God I don’t understand why there was a this illness and why can’t we find a cure. I have cf also it’s been tring to kill me for along time and torturing me everyday of my life and getting worse. I pray for God to interven and cure this horrible illness. Or my be to take me another way. Or to take me soon so I won’t have to suffer many more years the of. The torture. what’s the answer have no purpose not able to live a life or enjoy anything. Can’t work can have children. And it’s hard to find a person who will love you threw it all who wants a terminal I’ll man that needs so much help and can’t work can’t give her children it’s a life of nothing and a burned on Ur love one’s.I just pray that I get into heaven so there will be no more cf I’ll keep praying for everyone who is suffering from cf. One piece advice while you still can do everything you want to and do them fast cf will. Catch up and then it’s to late. Belive and pray to God worship him accept him in Ur heart and believe with all Ur heart and ask forgiveness and stay on the path to him cause he has a place where there is no sickness no pain no fear just love forever and that’s were I want to go right I don’t mean don’t fight it keep the good fight but just keep praying and keep the faith that heaven is there but you have to pray and worship and really believe and accept him in Ur heart. My five year plan is to meet Jesus my Lord and savior then ask about a million questions lol. I pray I will meet you all there. I pray even after I’m gone that some day soon a cure will be found.