Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Getting a Vest from Philly to Brazil Part 2

• Getting a Vest from Philly to Brazil Part 2

Posted by luisa-palazola on July 29, 2019 at 8:00 am

Part two of 5,000 Ft Apart: FROM PHILLY TO BRAZIL

I don’t know how to tell you this story. So much has happened since I landed in Philly Wednesday. My mission getting here was pivotal: to meet @kheinbaugh and get the Vest she is donating for my friend, @emmanuele.machado, who is in Brazil.
    I’ve learned the Universe is very much so in tune with our beliefs. Mine simply has been: this Vest is somehow getting to Brazil and I guess I’ll explore Philly. But, I never could have imagined the journey that actually has unfolded.

I got to a hostel in Philly, with the intent of traveling alone. But, along the way I found a group of people who’s hearts showed before I really met them. Waiting in line for burgers my hostel was grilling, I found myself eavesdropping on a conversation behind me. Except, I couldn’t quite eavesdrop, because the closer I got — the more I realized it wasn’t Spanish, but Portugese. My excitement rushed through my body and my mouth piped out “o você fala português?” Which means “Oh do you speak Portugese?”

Thankfully @alessandroaj speaks English, because conversation perhaps wouldn’t have been as constructive with my Spanish and mostly vulgar Portuguese. And in good hostel fashion, we asked what each other did for a living and why we were in the city. I excitedly shared my mission and was shocked that he understood the importance of what was going on, what cross contamination is, and getting necessary medicines abroad and this time—to his home country. Turns out I was talking to eye enthused physician, who’d been in the US doing research. Weird, eh?

That night, the city was bustling with 4th festivities and I found a group of some pretty solid girls to go with. On my first metro subway excursion, I realized I hadn’t met one of our group. I said hi, asked her name and heard a slight accent. And when I asked where @jebeattriz was from, I found myself wondering if life was playing a joke on me. São Paulo.

You know, the one in Brazil. Even more bewildering was how well we clicked — finding almost every moment and space to take photos. Turns out I wasn’t the only solo traveler, and we decided to explore Philly together.

To be continued

luisa-palazola replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.