Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Getting a Vest from Philly to Brazil Pt 3

• Getting a Vest from Philly to Brazil Pt 3

Posted by luisa-palazola on July 30, 2019 at 8:00 am

Part 3 of 5,000 Ft Apart: From Philly to Brazil⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    I am home, sitting on my bed doing my own Vest treatment. I’ve cried on and off for the past two days, even the flight attendant asked if I was OK. Yesterday, Katelyn, her boyfriend Rain, and I planned to meet at Independence Hall. ⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    Katelyn sent me a photo Saturday of Rain cleaning, Lysol-ing, and disinfecting every crevice of the Vest, the machine itself, the hoses, and the carrier it comes in. And, they even put it in a plastic trash bag, to make sure that Katlyn’s germ’s don’t infect it. Staying cautious, I woke up Sunday morning and walked to get my own lysol, gloves, and a mask. And, I made my walk to Independence Hall to meet them. I realized the unintended symbolism in meeting there.⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    I pulled on my mask and gloves, probably looking a little odd to passer by-ers; but, wearing this protection was integral for the both of us. I rounded Independence Hall and kept my eyes peeled for a girl in a black shirt and a guy in a blue shirt. They spotted me first, and waved with cheer from their bench, and my eyes welled with tears. We said hi from 6 feet apart, both Katelyn and I donning our mask and gloves. I fought every natural want to give them a big hug. ⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    I handed Rain a pair of gloves and he instinctively took the Lysol to wipe down the carrier, again. I couldn’t believe my eyes and kept saying “I don’t know how to express my gratitude. This is unbelievable.”⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    We ended up talking for several hours. Two girls who really didn’t quite know each other, but could bond over the pain, exhaustion, and fear that comes with cystic fibrosis. And, despite it all — we did it. We did it out of an intense love and bond that comes with CF. One that knows no barriers, even if @emmanuele.machado lives 5,000 miles away. It was incredibly hard to say goodbye, especially when having lunch or a hug seemed like the natural thing to do. When touch felt necessary. ⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    But, we have a disease that makes the most normal human exchanges a risky endeavor.⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    I walked away with the Vest in my hand, mask on my mouth, and gloves on in the streets of Old City. A different scene from the hospital. To be continued…

luisa-palazola replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.