• Birthday thoughts

Posted by jenny-livingston on August 26, 2020 at 9:25 am

Not to toot my own horn, but today is 33rd my birthday!🎉

There was a time that birthdays didn’t mean that much to me. It would have been easy for me to let them slide by unacknowledged. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to appreciate them so much more. In fact, I’m now a firm believer that we should celebrate the beauty of life anytime there is reason to. Birthdays? Celebrate! Anniversaries? Celebrate! Milestones and accomplishments? Celebrate! A random Tuesday? Celebrate! I think you see my point.

I now treasure birthdays and refuse to let one pass without acknowledging what a gift it is to be alive. “Growing older is a privilege denied to many” and I am so grateful I’ve been granted that privilege so far.

How do you feel about birthdays? Do you like to celebrate them or let them pass quietly? Just for fun, what is a favorite birthday related memory you have? 

tim-blowfield replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • paul-met-debbie

August 27, 2020 at 6:14 am

Happy Unbirthday to you!

(this is the time to Google Unbirthday and listen to the song from Alice in Wonderland).

There is a lot of truth in the song. Consider when exactly is your birthday? The day you vacated your mothers womb, the day you were conceived, the day you were a twinkle in the eye of your parents, the day they met, or their parents met – it goes back to cosmic causality of Adam & Eve. You were always born, you are timeless. Chances of everything coming together like this are astronomically small – and yet it happened. You won the lottery! So yes, by all means, celebrate every day and every moment.

I now remember reading The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff. Highly recommended. There is a drawing of Winnie and Piglet walking in the snow. The text reads: “What day is it?”, asked Pooh. “It’s today”, squeaked Piglet. “My favorite day”, said Pooh.

Congrats,
    Paul

• jenny-livingston

August 27, 2020 at 2:20 pm

What beautiful thoughts, Paul. Thank you!
    “My favorite day!”

• tim-blowfield

August 31, 2020 at 8:17 pm

Just remember Jenny: Those who have most birthdays live longest! Unless you are born on February 29th. I had an uncle who celebrated his 21st birthday aged 84.