Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Bailey Vincent
      Keymaster

QUESTION: Have you ever let sickness take over your personality?

I have. After I first got diagnosed and finally had some sort of answers, I felt like going hard as an advocate was super important. I was super stressed out by symptoms at the time, and all the unknowns. I did the same thing when I was embracing my Deafness and trying to find a community who would “get me”.

I operated like there was light at the end of the tunnel. As if there’s a solution for every problem. A “fix”. But, as most of you know, there rarely is a perfect end to each and every symptom, and eventually (at least in my case) we settle into this weird treading-water effect instead. Has anyone else gone through this?

Do you feel it’s a positive or something we “grow out of” instead?

Jenny Livingston
      Keymaster

This is something I think about often. Do I let my “sick” identity become too much of who I am? I recently wrote a piece about embracing CF as part of my identity. I truly accept and embrace the notion that it is part of who I am, yet I don’t ever want it to become ALL that I am.

Regarding advocacy, I find it easier to be involved (either physically or online) when I’m feeling well. When my symptoms worsen or I’m struggling with my health, I tend to go silent. I kind of revert to that feeling of “treading water.”

It always feels as if I’m walking a tightrope, never wanting to lean too heavily to one side or the other.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account