Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Movement, exercise, and the seasons…

• Movement, exercise, and the seasons…

Posted by jenny-livingston on November 5, 2020 at 3:30 pm

As the weather is changing, my movement and exercise activities are as well.  During the summer and early fall, I spent a huge amount of time outside — walking the dogs, paddle boarding at a nearby lake, riding bikes with my daughter. As the days are getting cooler I’m spending far less time outside, and its been months since I had a regular workout routine. After such a fun and active summer, the thought of working out indoors seems incredibly boring and I’m struggling to find motivation.

Do your exercise habits and activities

change with the seasons? Do you struggle to stay motivated to exercise when your favorite (outdoor) activities aren’t possible? What are some of your favorite workout programs or forms of exercise at home?

paul-met-debbie replied 3 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • paul-met-debbie

November 8, 2020 at 7:42 am

My main workout consists of walking the dog 2 or 3 times a day. Although she prefers dry weather, she is not particularly impressed with the changing seasons. She exactly knows how late her walks are supposed to start and makes sure she is not forgotten. So this is a steady activity for me all year round.

In wintercold (january/february) when day temperatures can get below 5 C (40 F) my airways prefer the warmth of indoor, so the outside walks tend to be a little shorter for which I compensate with indoor walking on the treadmill, half an hour each day. It is indeed boring, but I compensate by using my tablet and looking at some interesting youtubes while walking. I know my dog thinks walking on the treadmill is the most ridiculous thing 🙂

I am always glad when temperatures start to rise again in spring.