• Pain and Placebos

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on December 4, 2020 at 10:36 am

I talked about embarrassing symptoms and shame, proud moments, and workout philosophies this week on the forum, but the latter made me think about our least favorite topic: Pain.

Do you think that those who can tolerate “pain for progress” sake are more likely to take care of their overall bodies in terms of CF?

Let me explain. In my experience as a dance educator and in working with different types of people, I’ve found that some have a much higher tolerance for “pain with purpose” (deep muscle soreness, for example) than others. It’s reflective in how long we hold a stretch… How much harder we push ourselves… etc.

I always say that “I have a high pain tolerance” but I don’t really think I do. I wish I had a fainting couch at home more often than not. Still, I can buckle down, focus in and push through painful procedures, recoveries, or positions more than some people believe they can (I believe we all could with the right psychological support), but it’s not because I’m always good at it.

I want to expand on this thought in a column super soon (so thank you, as usual, Forum Friends for the inspiration!), but do our own beliefs about pain change how we actually feel it?

I have experienced pain with a purpose (child birth, for example) where I was able to really buckle down and push through with brag worthy results, and others (unknown stomach attacks or liver twinges) that felt scary and surprising and weren’t handled well at all. I can be a total wimp when it comes to pain, to be honest, it just depends on what I know about it, where it stemmed from, and how long it lasts.

Can you think of one experience when you felt Pain With Purpose and one time when pain truly freaked you out? How did it shift your mentality?

paul-met-debbie replied 3 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • paul-met-debbie

December 5, 2020 at 7:44 am

The pain of pain is not in the pain
    but in the thoughts about
    what, why, how, where,
    when, whence, which, who,
    past, future, time
    I, me, my

If you keep your mind clear
    pain will be just what it is