Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Tips for Flying with CF Stuff

• Tips for Flying with CF Stuff

Posted by luisa-palazola on July 25, 2019 at 3:00 am

I recently just came back from vacation: 4 airports, 3 cities, and two weeks away. And, it’s air travel can be overwhelming. So, I figured I’d over a refresher on things to keep and mind, and to encourage everyone to stick to their guns when it comes to protecting your body:

1. Airlines are legally mandated to accommodate your disease. Meaning, they cannot charge you for any of your medical equipment or deny you on the plane. So, all of our pills — they get to go, too. Our nebulizers, those too. And, ah — the suspicious and sometimes bulky Vest — LUG ‘ER IN, BECAUSE SHE’S TAKING A FLIGHT. Guys, I can’t stress enough how important it is to carry your medical equipment with you and do not check it in.  It’s a hassle, for sure. But, it’s assurance that it’s safely with you. Going through security check is a little overwhelming, and this is how I tackle it:
      1. I take out my nebulizer and put it in it’s own little box through the security belt, I have yet to be stopped for it.
      2.  I leave my medicines inside my bags (I take my oral medications and inhalations vials — I don’t have experience with diabetes equipment)
      3. The Vest stays inside it’s carrier, but always gets stopped for an additional security check. I know some people travel with doctor’s note. I never do, and if I am asked I will tell them what the Vest is. These last few flights, no one asked and I didn’t say anything. Other times, people ask out of their own curiosity. For me, it’s been no big deal.
      4. Not security check: but, if you ever get on a plane and they ask you to check in your medical equipment because there’s not enough space on the flight. Say no. I had to learn this the hard way, after my Vest got lost in transit between Houston and Memphis. Thankfully, it was safely delivered to my home. But, I later learned that they have to find a space on the flight, and trust me, they do.
    2. I travel with a ton of hand sanitizer, and will sometimes wear gloves to protect myself further. Heck, I know people who travel with a mask as well. For me, I am comfortable with just sanitizing my hands after going through TSA and touching (most) anything. When I was younger and travelled with my family, my Dad would always bring Lysol wipes and wipe down the armrest on my seat, my seat, and the area I was in.
    3. Doing treatments in the airport. If you need to get a treatment in, doing them in the airport is a little intimidating considering all the people. I used to be very self aware, but now I don’t really worry and no one has ever stopped me. However, I don’t like doing this unless necessary, just because it’s exposing me and my equipment to a bunch of germs, and that kinda unnerves me. However, I know friends who do this often and even do their IV’s in the airport.

It’s all possible, a little intimidating. But, you’ve got this 🙂

Any travel tips you guys have?

luisa-palazola replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.