Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF To my younger self — what's a real friend?

• To my younger self — what's a real friend?

Posted by luisa-palazola on February 19, 2019 at 11:36 am

I used to be weirdly insecure about my friends with CF, and didn’t know if I could classify them as real friends. I met them on the internet and didn’t know them in real life, so I wasn’t sure if they counted. Does that make sense? I hope so.

But, to younger Luisa: That’s garbage and you’re about to learn what legitimate friendships are. I get where you’re coming from, though. The friendships that you’ve seen unfold between people with CF have been weird and almost cult-ish. And, that toppled by the fact that you’ve got a helpless (right now) need to validate that CF doesn’t control every aspect of your life, you’re trying to fight CF everywhere. You refuse to let CF define you. And those friendships seem defining.

That’s okay.

But, you’re going to learn life flows much easier when you let life happen. A lot of that means, forming deep bonds with people who have your disease. You’re also going to soon realize you’ve got legitimate friends in cities and countries everywhere. And while, you can’t meet up with them in person, this is freaking awesome.

You get recommendations, support, and when you do visit and forget your meds — you’re a phone call away from help.

You don’t do life alone, so let it happen and let people come. And as Mom says, very seldom will you have to control and manipulate things. CF Friends are those things that you let come. 🙂

How have your CF friends influenced your life?

luisa-palazola replied 5 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.