Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF What are your thoughts when traveling by plane? Do you find it overwhelming and difficult? CF Columnist Discusses her fear or flying

• What are your thoughts when traveling by plane? Do you find it overwhelming and difficult? CF Columnist Discusses her fear or flying

Posted by luisa-palazola on July 22, 2022 at 12:30 pm

CF News Today Columnist, Nicole Kohr, recently wrote about her fear of flying. You can read her column here.

She has been offered various opportunities to travel to advocacy events, but her fear of flying can be an obstacle. That fear isn’t unfounded, either. She taps into the difficulties that come with someone who is immunocompromised (because of a lung transplant). Some of her hurdles have been related to medication and others are fears related to infection.

What are your thoughts when traveling by plane? Do you find it overwhelming and difficult?

jenny-livingston replied 1 year, 8 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

July 22, 2022 at 2:48 pm

I hadn’t read this article yet, so I’m especially glad that you shared it here! It was very relatable. Since being on Trikafta, my doctor has given her support for me to travel without my Vest — as long as my health is stable and I won’t be gone too long. Being able to do this has felt so freeing! Without fail, I used to always get pulled aside my airport security while they did extra scanning/testing on my Vest. It was so extremely anxiety inducing for me. The last two times I’ve flown (without my Vest) I’ve been able to zoom through security with ease. I’ve learned that so much of my fear and anxieties about flying were actually anxieties about navigating the airport with SOOOO much luggage and medical equipment.

Like Nicole, I’ve always worn high-quality masks on planes. When flying in the last couple years, I found it comforting that everyone else was wearing one as well. Now that mask mandates have lifted, I expect to be one of only a few people wearing one on an upcoming flight this fall. That does worry me.