Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Community Spotlights 31 Days of CF 2022 31 Days of CF: My Tattoos Helped Me Cope With Having CF

• 31 Days of CF: My Tattoos Helped Me Cope With Having CF

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 2, 2022 at 3:45 pm

This is Megan Maurer’s (@sweetstarfire) story.

Megan writes about how having tattoos has helped her cope with CF. She shares how much getting tattooed has benefitted her mental health and allowed her to express herself.

Here’s an excerpt, “Tattoos have helped me reclaim my body by allowing me to add my own “scars” in the form of beautiful artwork. Tattoos have greatly improved my body image and given me more confidence in my own skin.”

Can you relate to Megan’s story?

Cystic Fibrosis News Today’s 31 Days of CF campaign will publish one story per day for Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Month in May. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofCF, or read the full series.

paul-met-debbie replied 1 year, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jenny-livingston

May 3, 2022 at 9:29 am

I can definitely relate to this! I’ve talked a little bit about my tattoos here on the forum before but have never delved into the ways my tattoos have helped me find a sort of healing. Megan articulates this so very well. I love this story and look forward to reading others throughout the month!

• paul-met-debbie

May 3, 2022 at 2:00 pm

Yes, talking about tattoos can be fun. I can relate to it more or less as follows:

For me, the question is: who is in need of improving the body image? Not the body itself for sure, it doesn’t have or need an image of itself, it could’t care less about its looks. And the same goes for the brain, that has enough to do already to make the body work and compensate for the disbalance that cf causes in some ways.

So it must be the personalizing mind with its erroneous thoughts about who it is and what it perceives us to be, that has a problem, which it tries to solve with a tattoo on the body. Which is quite a lazy and cowardly thing to do, putting the body through that ordeal while it watches the procedure from a distance and keeps its hands clean, not being stung by a needle. And what’s even stranger, the mind doesn’t know who we really are, so how would it know what tattoo will suit us best? What a predicament.

Well, anyway, I don’t feel the need to reclaim a body, mine or anyone else’s, for I am complete already and the body and brain are in me, doing a great job regardless of apparent scars and looks. But I see a lot of bodies around, decorated with or without tattoos, and they all look great and creative to me, so by all means:

Tat too or not Tat too? That’s not the question. Where to put it, and what to chose? are the real questions. I talked about that before, answering a call from Jenny some while ago. I think I comcluded that I would not mind a tattoo with invisible ink, and then I realized I am already covered in such a tattoo, shining beautifully pink all over my bones and muscles.