Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF How is Your Breathing Affected by the Cold Weather?

Tagged: , ,

• How is Your Breathing Affected by the Cold Weather?

Posted by William on December 1, 2022 at 10:30 am

In a previous column, I talked about how my respiratory issues get exacerbated during the winter time, specifically in 2014 when it got really bad and I nearly missed a trip to Boston.

Nonetheless, every winter is tough for me and my breathing issues. On top of having cystic fibrosis, I have asthma. While I wouldn’t trade living in the North East of the US for anything, the winter can make you ask yourself, “What the heck am I doing?”

We all have breathing issues here, some worse than others, but we can all agree that winter can really take its toll on one’s body.

How is your breathing affected by the cold weather?

gina-michele replied 1 year, 4 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • gina-michele

December 13, 2022 at 4:00 pm

Not a CF patient myself – but I have seen first-hand how the winter and the changes of season in general can really affect breathing!  From asthma, to seasonal allergies, to the changing of the humidity in the air, to the changing of the air and temperature in general – and using amenities like heating and air conditioning – it really can get into someone’s sinuses and make a whole, big mess!  And similarly, I do ask myself every single winter… “What the heck am I doing here in New Jersey?” – but still wouldn’t trade it or its four beautiful seasons for anywhere else.