Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Monarch vs AffloVest

• Monarch vs AffloVest

Posted by luisa-palazola on July 29, 2019 at 3:00 am

In the CF community, we have been introduced to various new and portable forms of airway clearance systems similar to the Vest. Most people with CF recognize Hill-Rom’s Vest or Respirtech’s inCourage system. While these are both awesome ways of airway clearance, a lot of us know they don’t offer much mobility and are bulky pieces of equipment, which can be limiting and keep people from doing their treatments. Within the last few years we have seen the development of new pieces of equipment that are portable. The two most popular are the AffloVest and the Monarch Vest.

So what’re the reviews between the two? Here are some comments from fellow CF’ers on their experiences between the two:

Monarch:

“Monarch 100%. I like actual percussion much, much better than the silly inflatable vibrating vests. I’ve never been a fan of any vest (and refused to use them) until the Monarch. I normally use a little ElectroFlow percussor that I’ve had for years but the monarch had been a great change. I still use the electroflow as it’s stronger but the monarch is SO much more convenient.”

“Monarch all the way. I’ve had both. The afflovest was pitiful. It did absolutely nothing for me. The monarch still isn’t as strong as I’d like but it works and it is a bit painful on your bones but I don’t use mine unless I’m away from home.”

“The Monarch provides a more vigorous treatment. I don’t have an Afflovest, but I have heard it feels more like a massage than a good beating. If you want to make a mobile vest worth your while, go with the Monarch, just be aware that there will likely be an adjustment period. It takes a little getting used to, but don’t let that discourage you from keeping with it.”

AffloVest:

“I had the AffloVest and was wary about how effective it was for me. When I was healthy and traveling it was reliable. But, I when I am sick, heck naw. I use my Vest. Though, I think the AffloVest kicked off the concept of portable airway clearance, and I respect that, haha.”

“I’ve had both. I much prefer the AffloVest. It’s lighter. It’s uses something more like a bladder system so the pods don’t hurt, whereas with the monarch (which I had and used for almost a full year) pods actually hurt my ribs and upper body. I actually get up way more stuff with my AffloVest, too. I use a combo of my older Hilrom Vest twice a day and my AffloVest once a day. The Monarch was too heavy for my liking. And just kinda rides up high on the chest whereas the AffloVest is more similar in shape to what we’re used to. To each their own, but to me AffloVest all the way!”

luisa-palazola replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.