Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and CF Can’t Taste As Well As Yesterday… Eek!

• Can’t Taste As Well As Yesterday… Eek!

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on February 11, 2021 at 1:17 pm

How often do you lose your sense of taste and smell, as someone with CF?

(Or, if you love someone with CF, is this a part of their disease process or cold symptoms too?) Yesterday I chatted quickly about the vaccine, but today I woke up and… well, I couldn’t taste my coffee very well.

In the past I would have said, “Ugh, my sinuses must be infected again,” because sometimes I can taste or even smell something “off” inside, depending on the bug. It’s like I can tell there is an infection purely by how my mouth feels or how frequently I think my loved ones need to take a shower (when, really, the problem is me!)

To be honest, because I’m used to losing components of taste and smell in the past, I don’t think much about dips in proficiency, and certainly wouldn’t have worried about a virus in the past.

Now… I very much do.

“How silly am I?” I said this morning, after instantly worrying about COVID the second something tastes duller, “This is a huge part of CF and not something new to me.” Last night, in fact, I even said, “I’m feeling vaguely strep-y”, since strep is something my body loves to culture… So why worry?

In absence of anything worse and while waiting this out for a few days (assuming it’s, per usual, ‘just CF), I was wondering: How often is your taste or smell impacted by your sickness? And in what way?

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

February 12, 2021 at 9:24 am

Honestly, I’d feel the exact same way if my sense of taste were suddenly diminished! The symptoms of COVID, even those considered hallmark for the virus, are so similar to CF symptoms. It’s another aspect of this pandemic that has made the last year… shall we say, interesting?

Truth be told, I think my sense of taste is always a bit off since I don’t have a sense of smell. Like, at all. A combination of years of horrible infection, impacted sinuses, and extensive surgeries (some of which caused lasting nerve damage) means that my olfactory system is basically useless. This is nice in a lot of ways, but I do miss smelling things sometimes. And, since I never know for sure, I always worry that I stink or that my house smells funny. Perhaps this is why I LOVE perfumes and body lotions even though I can’t smell them.