Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Becoming friends with people with CF

• Becoming friends with people with CF

Posted by luisa-palazola on March 15, 2019 at 7:06 pm

In an ironic twist of fate, some of my best friends are people with CF. I think it’s pretty clear why these people have become my best friends — sharing a destructive and chronic illness — is a pretty intimate bond in itself. It’s also incredibly saddening that, should I ever travel to their cities or countries, I can’t hang out out with them. I can’t go to dinner, get a beer, or spend the day with them. Even though, it would be guarenteed an awesome experience.

But, these are also relationships that highlight the fact that you don’t have to see someone everyday for them to be your best friend. That, loving someone doesn’t require their physical presence. And, being there for someone is possible without being able to hug on them. For these people, I would do anything — except exist within 6 feet of them.

It hurts sometimes, but at the same time:

It magnifies the brilliance in connections with others, its questions our ideas of what friendships should look like, and underscores the limitless capacity of loving someone.

luisa-palazola replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.