• Body Image and CF

Posted by luisa-palazola on March 26, 2019 at 8:45 am

CF isn’t a one size fits all disease, and I’m just realizing the irony of that statement while I talk about this topic. I think most people are expected to be enzyme dependent and have difficulty gaining and keeping weight on, which a lot of people CF deal with. I’m not quite that way. I don’t need enzymes to gain weight or absorb my nutrients. And, honestly I think that’s been my biggest blessing.

Granted, I gain weight. Sometimes, especially if I’m sick and sedentary, I gain a lot of weight. And, it’s a weird space to be in, because it’s one of the best things for me having CF as higher BMIs are correlated with better lung outcomes.

However, I can’t dismiss the pervasiveness of looks and body image in the society we live in. One that, while does embrace big booties and thicc curves, also is pivoted on an impossible expectation of perfection. And, it’s that impossible expectation that sometimes and has nudged me into weird and restrictive eating habits. Neurotic and self shaming tendencies. And disappointment  in not doing CF right.

How does CF affect your body image?

luisa-palazola replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.