AbbVie Offers 2022-2023 Funding, Marking 30 Years of CF Scholarships

Mary Chapman avatar

by Mary Chapman |

Share this article:

Share article via email
CFF grant | Cystic Fibrosis News Today | CRISPRi | illustration of hand with money

Marking three decades of supporting the educational pursuits of young cystic fibrosis (CF) patients, AbbVie is calling for applications from U.S. students in this, its 30th year offering CF scholarships.

The application deadline for the AbbVie CF Scholarship program for the 2022-2023 academic year is May 25 at 11 a.m. ET. Eligible undergraduate and graduate students may apply online or by downloading an application.

For this round, AbbVie will award 40 scholarships of $3,000 for use toward collegiate expenses. These scholarship winners will be notified by July 18.

Recipients also will be able to compete for an additional $22,000 through one of two award classifications: Thriving Undergraduate Student and Thriving Graduate Student. These awards are based on a combination of factors including grades, achievements, creative presentations, essay submissions, and public votes. AbbVie will announce those recipients on Nov. 3.

Recommended Reading
Afflovest Legacy Project

Georgia College Student Receives AffloVest from Legacy Project

Voting will be open to the public — which will decide 30% of an applicant’s total score — between Sept. 14 and Sept. 28. Applications from scholarship winners may be viewed on A company-selected judging panel will award the remaining 70% of overall points.

“The AbbVie CF Scholarship has changed my life by providing the means to pursue my academic goals,” said Melissa W., a 2021 Thriving Graduate Student scholarship recipient, in a press release. “I was honored to be recognized and have the chance to share my story with other students living with CF.”

She added: “A lot of people might not think they deserve recognition, but I’m proof to never underestimate yourself and reach for your dreams — great things can follow!”

Previous winners of awards other than Thriving Student may apply for this coming year’s scholarship — if they are continuing with higher education. Applicants must be diagnosed CF patients, U.S. citizens or legal and permanent U.S. residents, and enrolled in or awaiting acceptance from an accredited institution during the 2022-2023 school year.

The AbbVie CF Scholarship was established in 1993 to relieve some of the financial burdens CF families face and to help young patients who seek it to achieve collegiate success. Since its inception, the program has awarded more than $3.6 million in scholarships to more than 1,000 students.

“It has been a remarkable 30 years of celebrating the creativity, brilliance and determination of students living with CF,” said John Duffey, vice president, U.S. Specialty at AbbVie.

“Year after year, we are inspired by their stories and ambition to leave a lasting impact on their communities while following pursuit of their dreams,” Duffey said. “We are committed to upholding this legacy with the same strength and passion shown to us every year by our CF scholars.”

Applicants need not have used, be using, or plan to take any treatment or product marketed by AbbVie.

More than 30,000 U.S. residents have cystic fibrosis, and more than half of them are age 18 or older, according to AbbVie, which says the scholarships are part of the company’s “ongoing commitment to the CF community.”