Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Navigating Complexities Dating, Relationships, and Marriage Encouragement for couples in the CF community

• Encouragement for couples in the CF community

Posted by kevin-schaefer on February 14, 2023 at 2:15 pm

Hey everyone, and happy Valentine’s Day!

Check out Jennifer Chamberlain’s latest column. She writes about how being a CF caregiver has impacted her marriage, and how she and her husband navigate the challenges.

Here’s an excerpt, “What we never waver on is that we’re a team, united for our daughter’s health. Sometimes we have to strip it down to that fundamental goal to see past our conflicts. Fortunately for us, most times we do agree on the course of our daughter’s care, but we always make a plan to resolve our disputes when we come to an impasse.”

How do you navigate relationships when CF is part of the picture?

William replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jenny-livingston

February 15, 2023 at 9:42 am

Jenn has such a way with words, and I love that she doesn’t shy away from talking about the harder aspects of CF. While she and I are in different positions — she being the parent of someone with CF, and me being the person with CF — she is spot on when she talks about it being a team effort. I am so glad to have someone in my corner 100% of the time, even when it’s not easy.

• William

February 15, 2023 at 6:08 pm

I think my wife and I do a really good job navigating cf! She definitely lifts me up if I’m going through a rough patch (ie hospital stay or bad infection) and stays on top of me. I appreciate having a different voice in my ear recommending trying something different if what I’m doing isn’t working. I try my best to stick to being healthy and being here for my wife.