Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and CF Calming Thoughts During the COVID-19 Pandemic

• Calming Thoughts During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted by kevin-schaefer on March 30, 2020 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all staying safe out there.

My name is Kevin Schaefer, and I’m the Forums Director for this site’s parent company. I don’t have CF, but I have another rare disease called spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). You can read about my life and experiences in my column here.

As someone who is also a high-risk patient, I have a lot of concerns for my health during this crisis as well. However, I found this column from my friend and colleague Brad Dell to be really encouraging and comforting. As people with rare diseases, we’re more or less veterans to situations like this.

Writing about how the people who survive this virus might be affected, Brad writes, “I hope they recall the loneliness of isolation when they meet someone who is no stranger to it due to a faulty immune system. I do not want society to experience this harshness in order to avenge me or so that they can pity people like me. But now that they’re in this situation, I hope they leave the pandemic with empathy. This, friends, is the life of the immunocompromised.”

This passage sticks out to me in particular. Though I hate that we’re all in this situation right now, I do hope that humanity can come out of it more empathetic than ever before. Maybe that’s just the optimist in me, but we all need to cling to hope right now.

Do you have any takeaways from this column? How are you coping during this time?

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.