Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Columnist Shares Story of Raising CF Awareness

• Columnist Shares Story of Raising CF Awareness

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 18, 2020 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a safe and relaxing weekend.

Check out Lara Govendo’s latest column here. She writes about CF awareness month, and what raising awareness means to her. This is a concept she’s wrestled with throughout her life, particularly in regards to telling friends and acquaintances about CF. Every time she “educates” someone about CF, awkward questions follow.

This passage sticks out to me: “Words carry weight we don’t always comprehend. I cringe every time I mutter the words cystic fibrosis to a love interest, stranger, or friend. I know they’ll follow up with preconceived notions of how to respond to my diagnosis. The list of discomforting replies is endless: “When did you get that?” “I know someone who died of CF.” “Oh, wow, you’re 33 and still alive? Great job!”

I know they don’t mean harm — most of the time — but that doesn’t prevent those arrows from piercing my heart.”

Do you have any takeaways from this column? What does awareness mean to you?

kevin-schaefer replied 3 years, 10 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.