Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Dating, cystic fibrosis, and when it comes up

• Dating, cystic fibrosis, and when it comes up

Posted by luisa-palazola on May 31, 2019 at 10:15 am

Dating and CF:

My therapist and I talk about dating a lot. We also talk about my CF a lot.

I told her that I’m pretty open with my disease. That sometimes I practically say “Hi, I’m Luisa and I have CF.”

Maybe not exactly, but CF comes up pretty quickly. Which, she didn’t quite agree with, so she suggested I wait and let my dates get to know me, and allow me to get to know them.

That I’m not my disease.

She also sent me home with an assignment: to write who I am, good and bad, and only mention CF at the very end.

I understand where she is coming from, I truly do. But, the more I’ve marinated this idea and gone out on dates. I’m recognizing that my disease is and perhaps always will be intrinisically connected to who I am. And, leaving that detail out not only feels unauthentic to me, it also makes it hard to explain my job, my passions, and connections. I see my life through the lenses of having always been sick, my perspective is and always will be influenced by growing up and living with a chronic and terminal illness. I kinda want to live a life where I can embrace that.

1.How do you approach dating?
    2. When do you open up about CF — have you experimented with timing?

luisa-palazola replied 4 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.