• Financial hardships and CF

Posted by William on April 5, 2024 at 12:02 pm

In her latest column, Jennifer Bleecher explored the financial hardships that come with living with cystic fibrosis. One such example was struggling to pay for her daughter’s college tuition after a double-lung transplant.

Have you experienced any financial hardships living with CF? If so, what did you do to alleviate the situation you were in?

William replied 2 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • gina-michele

May 16, 2024 at 12:59 pm

While I have not yet experienced financial hardship as a CF caregiver (gratefully and thankfully), I have seen my spouse with CF navigate through turbulence and trials with insurance and supplemental insurance approvals, out-of-state CF coverages, and take on additional costs related to their CFRD (on things like glucose testing machines, test strips, alcohol wipes, etc.). It is hard, but I am thankful that my spouse has the support of a wonderful team of doctors and professionals, including social workers who have gone the extra mile when needed. With that being said, being a CF caregiver requires a lot of budgeting and saving, as to ensure we can keep (even some) security funds to fall back on during emergency situations and if ever needed.

• William

May 16, 2024 at 1:37 pm

Your spouse is definitely lucky to have such a supportive cast around him. I’m sure he is grateful for all of you.