Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF New Port-a-catheter and Using the Percussion Vest

• New Port-a-catheter and Using the Percussion Vest

Posted by Jonny Flores on February 14, 2024 at 3:46 pm

URGENT: PLEASE ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREAT!

I just had my first Port-a-catheter inserted in the hospital, and it hurts. I know it will hurt for a few days. However, I MUST use a vest for CPT, severe bronchiectasis etc.

Can anyone provide any advice on what struggles you went through when you first started using your vest with a PORT?

Did you just get used to it after a while? Any words of wisdom? I just don’t want to injure the site. What are your hacks?

Thanks everyone!

w-hoh replied 2 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • William

February 15, 2024 at 11:08 am

Replying to this so it gets noticed and someone can help!

I’ve never personally dealt with this issue so, I’m unable to help. However I hope someone who knows what you’re going through sees this and offers advice/help!

• w-hoh

February 15, 2024 at 3:51 pm

I would seriously ask this question of my CF Clinic. I’m sure they’ve run into this before.<div>

There’s always the option of doing it old school, i.e. manual chest percussion therapy. I know that it’s difficult to find someone to do it for you. And you may not have a treatment table. And it may not be as efficient. But it may be better than nothing. And it would avoid the port area. But again, it’s just an option that should be discussed with a doctor.

I would talk with the pulmonology fellow on call at the hospital where your CF Clinic is. If he/she doesn’t know, they can find out… by calling the doctor who did your port procedure at home. Etc.

</div>