10 Cystic Fibrosis Facts
1. About 30,000 people in the U.S. suffer from cystic fibrosis (CF).
2. Cystic fibrosis is one of the most common lung diseases in children.
3. Cystic fibrosis is an autosomal recessive generic disorder – passed down through families.
4. CF is generally diagnosed in infants but mild forms of the disease can sometimes be diagnosed in adults.
5. Cystic fibrosis patients often suffer from lung infections and digestive disorders.
6. Scientists have been researching gene therapy, in an attempt to find a cure for cystic fibrosis.
7. Cystic fibrosis patients’ life span averages around 40 years of age.
8. A person suffering from cystic fibrosis needs a diet that is high in calories and protein.
9. Regular physical exercise is an essential part of a CF patient’s daily routine.
Recently, an innovative research center providing tailored physical activity and exercise regimens for young people with cystic fibrosis (CF) has been launched with support for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.
10. Pulmonary care for CF includes several techniques for mucus clearance, breathing, inhalers and, in severe cases, lung transplant.
Cystic Fibrosis News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.