Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF After Surgery: When Do You Return To Work?

• After Surgery: When Do You Return To Work?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on February 26, 2020 at 10:08 am

Question: How long do you take after surgery to get back to life?

I am just a few days out from sinus surgery, and still don’t feel like myself at all (I actually feel worse currently, before hopefully feeling better). Despite feeling terrible, I have to return to work tonight in some capacity. I often return to work or dancing well before the designated time that doctors say so (in this case, two weeks of minimal moving and weekly debrieding, and then a slow return). I just can’t afford to take the full amount of healing time off.

Does anyone else do this or do you have any recovery experiences or advice to share?

jenny-livingston replied 4 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

February 26, 2020 at 10:45 am

I’ve had five sinus surgeries in total, so I thought I had the recovery phase down. But a couple years ago, my recovery was far worse than I had anticipated. Three weeks out, my entire face swelled up and I was in such extreme pain. At that point, I regretted getting the surgery because I couldn’t imagine ever feeling better. We determined that I’d developed an infection, which was remedied by a short course of antibiotics. And then FINALLY I started feeling better.

Finally being able to breathe and no longer having debilitating sinus pain/pressure was such a foreign and wonderful feeling! It just took a while to get there. What I learned was that for me, Tylenol was the best pain reliever for that specific type of pain. I was shocked because I generally think Tylenol is pretty worthless (hah!). But I don’t like narcotics, and ibuprofen wasn’t super helpful. Extra strength Tylenol was my unexpected miracle. Also, keeping something cold on my face/forehead really helped. At one point, I’d used my cooling packs and forgotten to put them back in the freezer so I ended up using a frozen burrito on my forehead for relief! 🙂

I hope that your return to work goes well and that you can manage to balance work and recovery. It’s like walking a tightrope, but sometimes it’s just what has to be done. Life doesn’t stop for sickness or recovery. You’ve got this!