Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Therapeutic Book Club: Current Reads?

• Therapeutic Book Club: Current Reads?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on April 23, 2021 at 7:48 am

I had a really traumatic doctor’s appointment two weeks ago, and I haven’t wanted to write about it. I cried a lot the week after and just felt “too down” to talk to anyone, despite knowing that’s oft recommended.

The doctor was lovely, but the nature of the exam was invasive, and embarrassing, and I just grappled with it more emotionally (perhaps because of past trauma) than I’d like to admit.

I finally told a friend about it and she noted that it’s shocking that patients aren’t given access to free (even if telehealth) counseling in certain areas of medicine, or after being a chronic patient for so long.

I didn’t want to talk about therapy itself today, rather:

Are you reading any books right now that feel like therapy?

For example, I have a daily devotional-style-of-book that I’m enjoying because I can savor a page per day without “biting off more than I can chew” (which is how literally everything feels when overwhelmed).

I love the idea of self-help, therapeutic or work-book style of books, which bolster your mental health journey and add to your daily routine. Any suggestions?

paul-met-debbie replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • paul-met-debbie

April 24, 2021 at 11:39 am

Eckhart Tolle: The Power of Now
    The only real self help book you will ever need – the insights in this book go way beyond therapy.
    Most other self help books are only about becoming a better person. This book will show you how to be free of the person once and for all. It’s liberating in the truest sence of the word.
    We have read it since 15 years many times over until we realized fully what it is about.

There is another book of this magnitude which is I am That (talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, translated by Maurice Frydman). Read it after you have read Eckharts book several times. We are currently reading this for the fifth time in 10 years and still feel amazed by its clarity and power.

Warning: these books will not answer the questions about life you have – they will dissolve them.

• paul-met-debbie

April 24, 2021 at 11:39 am

Eckhart Tolle: The Power of Now
    The only real self help book you will ever need – the insights in this book go way beyond therapy.
    Most other self help books are only about becoming a better person. This book will show you how to be free of the person once and for all. It’s liberating in the truest sence of the word.
    We have read it since 15 years many times over until we realized fully what it is about.

There is another book of this magnitude which is I am That (talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, translated by Maurice Frydman). Read it after you have read Eckharts book several times. We are currently reading this for the fifth time in 10 years and still feel amazed by its clarity and power.

Warning: these books will not answer the questions about life you have – they will dissolve them.