Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Community Spotlights 31 Days of CF 2022 Sunday Morning (64) Life is beyond limits

• Sunday Morning (64) Life is beyond limits

Posted by paul-met-debbie on May 26, 2022 at 3:12 am

In Day 23 of the 31-days-of-CF  series on this forum and website, Maggie Ronayne reveals that Trikafta has removed many of the limitations that CF used to impose on her. In her own words: “The blinders have come off”. This made me think about limitations in life. Are they true or only a perception?

Life is both limited and limitless. On a first glance, our options seem to depend largely on circumstances beyond our control. This starts immediately from our birth, when we find ourselves in some body, some gender, some family, some location, some nationality, in peace or war, in poverty or riches, in freedom or suppression, and on top of that we are taught convictions, beliefs and develop habits that are all in a way limiting our options as well. Or do they?

The most limiting of these mechanisms is the belief that we are separate from all that is, that we are an individual and need to develop and cherish this. That we have to strive to re-connect with our natural environment in some way, while all the time we are completely already one with this.

Going beyond this mechanism is what enables us to find the unlimited dimension of life, where we can thrive and find the sheer joy of being alive. Of course there still are so called practical circumstances, but they don’t limit us, on the contrary, they point us to the oneness we already always and effortlessly are. We need black to see the white and vice versa. Yin and Yang.

Johann Wolfgang Goethe (1749-1832), the great German scientist, poet and philosopher and homo universalis said: “In der Beschränkung zeigt sich erst der Meister”, translated “In limitations he first shows himself the master”. Popularly said: When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

I think this is true, but it is only when we stop perceiving life as being tough, no matter circumstances, that we really get going in the flow of aliveness as it is intended.

Now about the question Jessie Madrigal Fletcher asked the CF-community: How do you feel about advocating for CF?

Well, I don’t advocate for CF-the-disease. I don’t perceive it as a disease. And I feel there is nothing to promote or support about our specific bodily functions. They are just what presents itself, what happens. However, what I do advocate, is Life, and CF is a feature of that. For me it turned out that having CF is not so much a hindrance, but much more a means of truly learning to go beyond the body, the mind and all of their so called limitations. CF is a door to this experience of oneness, and all other circumstances in life are as well. They are not limitations, but possibilities. We don’t have to conquer these by fighting, but we can flow with these like in a dance. I talked about this in Day 25 of the series.

The great Persian Sufi philosopher and poet Jalal ad-Din Rumi (1207-1273) formulated it thus: When such a door presents itself, we may knock on it. If we do this wholeheartedly and earnestly, the door will open – and it turns out that we are already always on the inside.

I also know of another way of saying this: If we knock on Life’s door, it will ask: “Who is there?” When we say: “It is I”, it will respond with: “Go away”. But when we say: “It is You”, it will invite us in.

Have an unlimited Sunday!

paul-met-debbie replied 1 year, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.