• A quick note on disabilities office and college

Posted by luisa-palazola on May 22, 2019 at 11:54 am

I graduated college about two years ago. It took me about 5 years to graduate, and I don’t think I would have been able to make it without the disabilities office (and excellent and compassionate professors).

I think it’s incredibly important for people with CF to seek out the help of the disabilities office, and in general, letting their school and professors know about their underlying condition.

I know it initially made me feel inferior and uncomfortable having to get help. But, the documents and legal systems set in place by the DO, really help when you get sick or when life happens.

To register, you do need doctor’s documentation of your CF for the initial appointment and getting set up. Going forward, you meet with your disability advisor at the beginning of the semester to set in place your accomadations (both academic or non academic, depending on you needs) for you. If applicable, you’ll get documentation for each class (I had to manually turn it in to my professors, it may be different depending on the campus). I always emailed my professors in advance, as well.

My accomadations were always related laxations on the absentee rules and extended periods of time for deadlines when necessary. These were crucial many times.

https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/choosing-starting-school/leaving-high-school/7-things-to-know-about-college-disability-services

Do you register with disabilities?
    What was the process like for you?

luisa-palazola replied 4 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.