This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Luisa Palazola 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     Luisa Palazola 
    Keymaster

To see original post, click here.

Topic: Becoming a CF Advocate ⁣
    This is @cf_sis_4_a_cure experience:

Growing up, the greatest challenge I face is watching my brother’s health deteriorate as CF overcomes his body. I have watched Matthew @my.fearless.life be hospitalized over 30 times in the past 10 years. Each stay lasting at least two weeks long and usually no longer than 3 months apart. I’ve watched him struggle every day just trying to catch his breath from doing simple tasks that most people don’t even think about, we do them effortlessly. I have watched him take handfuls of pills at a time, withstand countless treatments, blood draws, PICC lines, and bronchoscopy procedures just to maintain his current health as long as possible before it once again inevitably declines. Because of this, a couple of years ago I decided I was tired of watching. I faced the fact that I can’t change or improve my brother’s health no matter how desperately I longed to and turned to something I could control to fill that void. ⁣

Advocacy has been an outlet for me ever since this revelation. I created a social media account to spread awareness and update friends and family on his current condition, I help run our local Great Strides Walk for CF annually, and I attended Teen Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill in 2016 and 2018 as a Washington representative. As I continue to be an advocate for my brother and others with this horrible disease, I have learned the significance of participating in something that is bigger than yourself as well as the importance of never taking life for granted. If someone in a similar situation to me came asking for advice, I would tell them not to focus on what they couldn’t control, because the obsession would take over their life and lead them in a dark direction. Instead, find a passion and throw yourself into it. Make it a priority, never lose sight of the importance in focusing on the positive, and truly live the life you were given because no matter how short, it is a blessing.⁣ Sincerely, A CF Sibling⁣

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account