• Calling in Sick

Posted by luisa-palazola on February 21, 2019 at 5:10 pm

So, our team member and columnist Elly recently wrote this piece. discussing feelings of self worth and attaching them to work and productivity. And what that can look like with CF.

I hella resonated with this piece. I can remember when I was in sixth grade being so afraid of going back to school after being sick for a week, because I was so behind and also because I was afraid of how people would respond. I would then self sabotage and miss even more school and write it off as not feeling well. I did this until my third year in college.

And wasn’t just confined to school, it was work, volunteer opportunities, anywhere. I was afraid of how my lack of productivity from being sick would impede me going back. I felt, honestly I guess, like I wasn’t good enough to be given the time and space to recuperate the work I had missed. And, I’d often question if I was “sick enough.”

I’m not sure what was my turning point, honestly I think my exposure to Instagram and the self-love revolution really started making me realize I wasn’t alone and I was enough. That my self worth wasn’t defined by what I did, where I went, and how great my work and papers are.

That because I exist, I am worthy.

I am worthy of extensions, I am worthy of job positions, I am worthy of second chances.

All of it.

I think what made this message really hit home, though, was reversing the roles. How would I treat someone in my position.

With kindness. No one is a super human, we’re all trying our best.

luisa-palazola replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.