Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Caregivers: How Hard Is The Waiting Room?

• Caregivers: How Hard Is The Waiting Room?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on August 7, 2020 at 5:33 pm

Yesterday I had an epidural/nerve block procedure (the first of a few to come in a short period of time), and I forgot to request an interpreter because the appointment was made so fast. So… my husband had to come into the procedural room with me for communication.

He got to wear the lead vest (like so many of interpreters in Xray rooms before him), and sneakily held my hand when he wasn’t interpreting what the doctor was saying. Before going in, she asked him, “Are you sure about this? You won’t faint?” And we both laughed like, “Hahah. He’s seen worse!”

This was my fourth spinal-tap-like procedure in 2020, and within a month from now, it will be my sixth. I wish I was brave and cool, but I get super sweaty every time, and have a hard time relaxing and just laying still.

After everything was said and done – and he watched two large epidural needles go deep in… and moved around… and up and down … and, EW- and did not, in fact, faint (clearly I would have), I told him having him in the room felt like taking an Ativan.

On the drive home I asked: “Would you rather be in the procedural room or in the waiting room?”

He chose the procedural room because, “At least I felt useful. Like I had something to do.”

Which would YOU choose?

bailey-anne-vincent replied 3 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.