• CF and Sibling Relationships

Posted by jenny-livingston on January 13, 2021 at 10:10 am

My relationships with my siblings are some of the most valuable ones I have. I’ve mentioned before that both my older sisters were also born with CF. (My oldest sister passed away at the age of 14.) I also have two brothers who do not have CF. I later gained 3 step siblings and 2 half-siblings, but for the sake of this post, I’ll focus on the original 5 of us. 

I’ve often wondered how having CF affected my sibling relationships. I am close to all my siblings, but there is an undeniable special connection to my sister. We’ve been through so much together and she’s been like a built-in CF support system. There is something really beautiful about having someone who completely gets all things CF, who is also part of my family.

My brothers are great big brothers! Jason, the brother just older than me, is fiercely protective of both me and our older sister. He acts tough, but has a giant soft spot for his sisters. Tommy lives nearby and is the only sibling I see on a regular basis (less now due to Covid, of course). He and his wife have always been willing to help care for my daughter during my hospital stays, etc. His help and friendship have been invaluable.

If anything, I believe CF has made our bonds stronger and our relationships more dear.

I sometimes wonder how my brothers felt growing up. Were they ever jealous or bothered by the amount of time and energy it took for my parents to care for us girls? Did they feel left out? (My mom tells a story about them begging to take enzymes and drink Ensure.) I suppose I’d have to ask them!

But for now, I’m asking you…

How have your sibling relationships been influenced by CF? (Whether your siblings have CF or not.)  If you’re a parent to a child (or children) with CF, do you think CF has had an affect on their sibling relationships? If you have any, I would love to hear about your siblings!

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 3 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.