• Posted by jenny-livingston on October 9, 2019 at 10:28 am

Let me tell you a little story. There was once a time, before the dangers of cross-infection were known, when people with CF and their siblings attended week-long camps together.

My siblings and I attended a camp in San Diego (camp Pillfeather) where there were endless games, crafts, swimming, skits and contests, fishing, and plenty of snacks available at all hours of the day. We’d line up for pills before meals, we’d do our treatments in the cabin (alongside several others doing their treatments as well), and we’d all cram into a cafeteria at mealtime.

Needless to say, this wasn’t the safest idea and as the dangers of cross-infection became known, these camps began shutting down. For those who are too young to have attended these camps or parents of young children with CF now, this whole thing probably seems absurd! While I understand completely why these camps no longer exist, I’m really grateful for the incredible summers I got to spend with so many others affected by this disease. CF camp was something we looked forward to each year, and it helped my siblings and I feel so much less alone in this journey.

Did you ever attend CF camp? What are your favorite CF camp memories? 

jenny-livingston replied 4 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.