Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Community Spotlights 31 Days of CF 2022 Day 14 of #31DaysOfCF: In This CF Journey, My Husband Is My Rock

• Day 14 of #31DaysOfCF: In This CF Journey, My Husband Is My Rock

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on May 16, 2022 at 6:31 pm

Shannon Miller has cystic fibrosis and is married to Jason. CF and relationships are not always easy. But Shannon feels blessed to have a husband who is very supportive.

When Shannon was evaluated for a cystic fibrosis-related lung transplant in 2016 Jason was incredibly helpful. They had the toughest discussions, which is something Shannon is so grateful for. Shannon’s mother passed away in 2016 which took her through a very dark period, making her depression much worse. Jason helped her so much, along with my antidepressants and counseling.

“Depression and CF really go hand in hand. Knowing you have an incurable genetic disease is bound to mess with you.” 

Shannon, we are so happy Jason is with you!

Now back to our CF Community: Do you experience dark periods? How do you manage them?

To read the rest of Shannon’s story, and learn more about her life with Jason and CF, click here.

Our #31DaysOfCF initiative is running for the entire month of May. Each day, we are featuring a different story, and a different view of life with CF. To read all of the stories, visit our website.

jenny-livingston replied 1 year, 11 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

May 19, 2022 at 9:14 am

I do indeed experience “dark periods” and I believe it’s totally normal and healthy for that to happen. The ways I manage these hard times are different than someone else might because coping strategies are not one-size-fits-all. I have found therapy to be helpful at times. I lean on my partner, like Shannon speaks of in this story. I spend time with my family and pets. I write. I create art. I allow myself to feel upset, sad, afraid, or whatever feelings might arise — I don’t try to suppress those things. One of my favorite mantras when it comes to mental health is something I learned from Tiffany Roe, a therapist I follow on Instagram, and it simply goes: Feel. Deal. Heal. We need to feel these things in order to deal with them and ultimately move forward and heal. Life is hard; CF is hard. It’s okay that things aren’t always sunshine and rainbows. It’s okay to not be okay all the time.