• gina-michele

May 16, 2024 at 1:10 pm

Yes, many of my loved ones deal with multiple diagnoses. My spouse has CF, and on top of that, also has to deal with and manage having CF related diabetes. Additionally, his CF affects both his lungs and gastrointestinal system, so it can make something like eating a balanced, high-calorie, high-protein/ healthy fat/ low-to-no sugar diet a bit challenging. But, with the help of nutritionists, doctors, and the good old internet, we do find a way!

Additionally, both of my parents have their share of multiple diagnoses as well. I do not have the help of siblings, so I do a lot of work myself helping to manage their diagnoses and routines. Needless to say, helping my loved ones to manage their diagnoses and care for themselves can be tiring and difficult at times (emotionally and physically), but it is now and will be always my priority. Because of this, I really do make a conscious effort to keep myself has healthy and alert as I can can, so that I can ensure that I am doing my best to always be here and present for them. Although I haven’t gotten it all worked out yet for myself, I am learning more about how to manage every day!

• William

July 24, 2024 at 2:24 pm

I have multiple diagnosis (CF/CFRD/asthma). I deal with it by being cognizant of what I am eating and where I am and how that can affect my CF and asthma.

• tim-blowfield

July 25, 2024 at 8:06 pm

Multiple diagnoses are common in CF. Asthma is a diagnosis that simply means ‘difficult breathing’ and has many causes of which CF is one. Every pwCF has difficult breathing to some degree. But pwCF do have a plethora of co-morbidities – oft related to the thick mucous in the lungs, resp tract, bowel, bile ducts, uterus, and other organs lined with mucous membranes. But other organs that do not have mucous membranes may also be affected. Heart disease has long been reported in babies and a 180paper reported it in older pwCF. Adrenal failure with Addisson’s Disease and Hypokalemia, vasculitis, hyperparathyroidism have all been reported and are probably caused by abnormal electrolytes within the cells caused by the faulty Chloride transport.