Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Luisa Palazola
      Keymaster

I’m a patient with CF and was diagnosed relatively late at nine years old. For the most part, I was a healthy kid and gained weight with ease. It wasn’t until I was about eight that I started developing a pneumonia that never really went away. I spent much of 8-9 years old really sick, and surprisingly was never admitted. Finally a radiologist looked at my x-ray and I distinctly remember him coming to talk to my my parents and that’s when I first heard the words Cystic Fibrosis.

I was tested shortly after and sure enough I had CF. As I was nine year old, I don’t remember much. But what I remember are two things:

1. Sitting in the car listening to Destiny’s Child’s “Survivor” and asking my mom if I was a Survivor. And, she promptly told me no. That, that was more for people who had gone through cancer or serious life diseases. I still kinda agree with her. But, that’s a topic for another day
      and,
      2.I remember my parents taking us (my brothers and I) to Mexico that summer, as I had been healing and doing better. And I remember having questions about what CF meant for my life as a future, and I remember my mom saying I was capable of doing anything I wanted.

Looking back on that, I didn’t realize how profound of a statement that was for a Mom who’s child was recently diagnosed with what was called a terminal illness. Or to feel bold enough to say, no, you’re not a survivor: this disease hasn’t gotten to you.

What do you remember from your diagnosis, or your first memories of CF being a thing in your life.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account