• Fatigue: Embrace or Fend Off?

Posted by William on March 14, 2024 at 9:30 am

One of the more common experiences across cystic fibrosis is fatigue. I deal with fatigue every day despite my best efforts in trying to fend it off. Now and then, though, I do need a nap.

Do you give in to fatigue and try to rest a little extra every day? Do you feel more well-rested than you did before? Or do you try and fend it off until nighttime when you sleep?

William replied 1 month, 1 week ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • gina-michele

March 14, 2024 at 2:07 pm

I will always take the opportunity for a nap. If my body is telling me that I need rest, then I listen.

• William

March 19, 2024 at 11:03 am

Napping is definitely the best and supremely beneficial!

• kim-torchy

March 14, 2024 at 3:16 pm

I had no idea this was part of CF. I always blamed myself as the cause: staying up too late or just a general pattern the past few years of doing less daily, due to my laziness. What a relief to think maybe it’s hard to motivate myself because of disease, not a moral failure!

• William

March 21, 2024 at 1:19 pm

It’s definitely not your fault. We all need rest and what may look to others (or even ourselves) as a lack of motivation is your body trying to tell you it needs rest.

• Teri67

March 19, 2024 at 5:43 pm

There are some days that I really struggle with my fatigue so I listen to my body and take a nap. There are other days when I just drink a bunch of water and go for a nice walk instead of laying down. Both have worked for me. One thing is for sure, this fatigue this is for real and it is necessary to really listen to what your body needs.

• William

March 21, 2024 at 1:19 pm

Walks and water are definitely helpful! It’s good that they also help you fight fatigue.

• Teresa Fredette

March 20, 2024 at 3:17 pm

I too spent many years blaming myself for my lack of motivation when fatigue became a regular unexplained, intermittent problem for me. I just recently have gone to part time work and getting disability and NOW when my body tells me I need a nap, I listen! There are days where a nap is all you need and other days where taking a walk in the fresh air is enough to energize me, but I have learned to listen to my body – guilt free!

• William

March 21, 2024 at 1:20 pm

No more guilt! It’s good to listen to our bodies.