• Five Feet Apart

Posted by tre-larosa on January 11, 2019 at 7:17 am

The movie “Five Feet Apart” starring Cole Sprouse will be coming out in a couple of months. When the trailer was released, it struck a chord in the CF community, essentially dividing the community in two.

1. What are your initial thoughts on the upcoming movie?
    2. How do you hope they portray CF on the silver screen?
    3. Any other thoughts?

(Be polite here!)

William replied 5 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • William

January 11, 2019 at 11:16 am

I’m not a fan of it, which is ironic because Holden Caulfield is my favorite literary character of all time and this guy is Holden, but with CF. While I do respect and appreciate the filmmakers for reaching out to people with CF, I have a feeling this will still be botched somehow. I also think they should’ve given one of the leads to a person with CF.

I hope that they portray CF with care and some accuracy. It’s Hollywood so, I know that there will be some aspects that are dramatized and I fully expect that. I don’t expect them to be coughing up blood or using the bathroom every 10 minutes, but I hope for some accuracy.

I just want to go back to my prior point and say that I wish people with CF were given an opportunity to star in the movie. I think we need some form of equal representation across all platforms and across all sects of society. We need to make our voices be heard. I stumbled across an old poem I wrote when I was in college about being represented in media. Red Band Society had just seen its brief time on air and I felt that it wasn’t a realistic portrayal. I just hope that these media conglomerates can let our voices be heard because personal blogs can only go so far.