Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Luisa Palazola
      Keymaster

Original post here

Hey guys! Today we have Gemma as our WCW! @gem.mcl is 24 years old and is from TX. This is what SHE considers important to her story with CF. ⁣⁣ ⁣⁣

💎I was diagnosed with CF at birth and was able to start treatments right away. My parents balanced teaching me about CF and allowing me to live a full life! I grew up taking river trips, camping, traveling, and exploring. I started doing theatre, writing, dancing, making art, and playing music from very early on. But, I became quiet about my illness. I didn’t want to be known for being sick, I wanted to be known for my singing, humor and art. I went on to attend @btwhspva.⁣⁣ ⁣⁣
      💎In high school, I had serious mental health problems, as I was coping with CF and my father’s stage IV cancer. I struggled with self harm and suicidal thoughts. I am really glad to have made it out of that part of my life, but it became harder before it got easier. I overcame more than one traumatic sexual assault, and deal with PTSD daily. After my dad died and I survived a suicide attempt, I left home to start life over in college.⁣⁣ ⁣⁣
      💎I began to heal with school and theatre. I met my amazing boyfriend, Eric, as well as friends that I’ll have forever. Once I started going to school and surrounding myself with people who loved me unconditionally, I started to heal. I started to love myself again and because of that, I started to really care about my health and take CF seriously. I have since traveled to Europe with my choir; cross-country with Eric; to LA to perform at @kcactf8. I’m really stoked to have gotten this far in my journey, and curious to see where it leads me.⁣⁣ ⁣⁣
      💎CF takes its toll, but I have learned that CF can be embraced in many ways. In addition to my school-work and adventures, I’ve also taken singing lessons with @breathe_bravely and joined a virtual choir with others who have CF. I’ve been featured on @cfnewstoday, and on @thecut for an interview about @fivefeetapartfilm. I will work on the 1st musical about CF, @fallriskmusical! I’m also working with @vertexpharmaceuticals as a patient advocate. I’m grateful that despite sickness, there is an inspiring and diverse community.⁣⁣

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account