• Hobbies that bring joy:

Posted by luisa-palazola on March 12, 2019 at 10:06 am

A few weeks ago, Ariel, posed a question on our forums page and our IG page, asking what hobbies brought you joy. I think it’s important to acknowledge what things and people bring a piece of happiness. It’s difficult to be human, whether or not you have CF. And, as I get older, I think you have the choice to decide to be happy or not — despite your circumstances. I think very seldomly are there spaces where it’s pure and absolute misery.
    I also think it’s important to acknowledge the things are are miserable, stressful, or plain hard. But, again I think you can decide where to devote your attention, and I choose the happier things and hobbies that bring me joy. It’s a way to decompress from the world around me and to dedicate time to ME.

So what’re those things for me?
    I find that journaling brings me joy. Even if I’m journaling about something difficult. The more I write the more my mind expands and I stumble upon new ideas and perspectives to see a situation.
    Sharing meals with others. Perhaps it’s not a hobby, but it equally brings joy, I think there’s something so intimate in sharing food. It’s an intergral part of living, eating. And to share that experience with someone, oftentimes feels like an honor that produces all sorts of emotions.
    I’ve lately found myself interested in birds. I don’t know much about them, except that they’re flight is deeply intriguing, whimisical, and peaceful. I take note of them and take a moment to be overcome by awe. Sounds sappy and weird, but I like birds. And, well any critter — big or small — exisiting in their own universe complelely different from mine. Except we share a space.
    I’m learning that I really enjoy languages. I reclaimed my Spanish years ago, and finally came to a moment where I realized I am totally fluent in the language. And somewhere inbetween, I discovered the beauty in Portuguese. How vastly similar it is to Spanish, yet it’s own language in itself. I take steps everyday to become more adept in Portugese, and the moments I spend on Duolingo or reading a text in Portugese are insanely peaceful and cathartic. Despite it not being anywhere near fluency.
    Here’s to hoping that I take up rock climbing or kickboxing in the future — to add to my hobby list.
    What’re your hobbies or things that bring you joy? Why do they bring you joy — what emotions surface?

luisa-palazola replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.