• How do you feel about scars?

Posted by jenny-livingston on January 29, 2020 at 10:19 am

I don’t have many scars, but those that I do tend to garner quite a bit of attention. The scar on my chest where my port was placed (and subsequently removed) is rather prominent and I get questions about it frequently.

“I was shot,” is probably my favorite response because the reaction I get is priceless. But I’m quick to take that back and tell the truth. I don’t have a problem talking about CF and the reasons my body carries these scars. I’ve never felt self conscious or uncomfortable with them. In fact, I actually like that it gives me a chance to talk about CF and possibly spread some awareness.

What about you? Do you have CF related scars? How does it make you feel when people ask about them? 

jenny-livingston replied 4 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • christina-kolassa

January 30, 2020 at 10:16 am

My 12 year old daughter has scars from her 3 surgeries at birth to fix a blockage caused by Maconium Illius. Just recently she mentioned that she wished she had a flat stomach. I know she’s just entering puberty and it’s going to be a rough road, but it broke my heart to hear it. I’ve told her they’re war wounds and she should be proud of the battle she won, but that doesn’t take away the anxiety she feels. I pray that I can provide her the comfort she needs when she feels judges by others. We’re very positive and motivating as a family, but some things are out of our control.

• jenny-livingston

January 31, 2020 at 10:57 am

@ckolassa, wow! Thanks for sharing this. I feel for your daughter, and I cant help but think that if I’d earned my scars at a younger age, I’d be less accepting of them. Kids can be especially hard on one another. I hope that as she ages, she’ll be able to see and recognize her strength and that her scars are a symbol of those things!