Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF How do you know when you’re done having children?

• How do you know when you’re done having children?

Posted by jenny-livingston on March 9, 2020 at 2:25 pm

My daughter, who is the absolute love and light of my life, is 10 years old. Having a child is something I always wanted, and I feel so blessed to have had her. But my health took quite a hit from pregnancy and, well… motherhood in general (in fact, the first few years of motherhood were far more exhausting and taxing than pregnancy itself was). I decided pretty quickly that she would be my only child, and I have been at peace with that for many years.

Well…. a couple months ago, I got a feeling I was very unfamiliar with. Completely out of the blue, I started feeling baby hungry! It was a feeling very foreign to me, and something I needed to really examine.

Ultimately, I let myself sit with that feeling for a while and landed back in the land of rational thinking. I don’t actually want another baby, and I don’t think it would be the best choice for my health. But it made me wonder how many of you (specifically women with CF) experience this back-and-forth thinking.

How do you know when you’re done having children? How do you differentiate between feeling baby hungry for a while and truly wanting to have a child? Is there a set of criteria that needs to be met (financial stability, emotional readiness, health staus, parental age, etc.) before you’d consider having a(nother) child? Are there any of you who know you don’t want more children, but still feel baby hungry sometimes? 

I wrote about this in more detail on my blog if you’d like to read that here

jenny-livingston replied 4 years, 1 month ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.