Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Marijuana, smoking, and mental health

• Marijuana, smoking, and mental health

Posted by luisa-palazola on July 31, 2019 at 3:30 pm

I recently stumbled upon a Facebook post about vaping weed, and the comments got a little interesting. There was a user who actively and regularly smokes. Which, as a person with CF — it’s daring to say the least, but I think it’s interesting to unfold why. From what I read, this user had/has severe issues with depression and has had suicidal tendencies and ideation, and weed has been his form of relief. According to his post, his doctors don’t condone this use, but they’ve developed — a tolerance towards this habit, while also suggesting he try edibles.

I absolutely do not condone smoking weed with a chronic lung disease and lung infection, but I thought the intersection of chronic illness and severe depression was something that can’t be overlooked. The idea of “What’s the point of trying to stay healthy, when you’re going to die anyway?” surfaced within the comments. And, while I don’t agree at all, I think this is a question a lot of people have when dealing with chronic illness. For me, the point of trying to stay healthy gives me the opportunity to at the very least try to live my dreams.

Where do you stand?

luisa-palazola replied 4 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.