• Frankie

Posted by luisa-palazola on May 28, 2019 at 1:10 pm

It’s MCM and we’re excited to have Frankie here today. @ezbrthn_95 is 45 and from NOLA. Here are pieces of his CF story: ⁣

⚜️I was diagnosed at age 3 and was told I had a life expectancy of 15 years. Growing up I was never open about CF, as I was trying to be as “normal” as possible. I had great friends who understood treatment time, my medications, and tune-ups. My dream was to get a degree in science so I could help others. That dream started, but CF had other plans. My lungs continued to deteriorate to the point of being told I needed a double lung transplant. I completed 2 years at the @uofno until it was time to solely focus on lung transplant.⁣

♻️I moved to NC to be closer to my transplant center at UNC-Chapel Hill. I had plenty of family and friends’ during the 2 year waiting period with one no-go for possible lungs. 2 months later and once again in the hospital, I was told there was a possible donor. The usual emotions ran through my mind but there was a difference this time, I felt peace. I was transplanted on Sept 18, 1995. I am now 45 years old and 23 years post-transplant. God is good.⁣

⚜️I returned to NOLA 3 months later to witness my niece’s birth and to return to school to finish my science degree. There were multitudes of pills, doctor visits, labs, unexpected rejections, crazy body transformations from medications, continuing school and living life to the fullest. I stayed on course but my kidneys started failing due to immunosuppression. 4 years later, I needed a kidney transplant. My dad donated a kidney and it gave me 10 years until another kidney was needed. I was blessed as my sister’s kidney was a perfect match. ⁣

♻️I graduated with a biological sciences degree and later received a clinical lab science degree. I work FT as a medical tech and it’s been a very rewarding. Life has been full for me and I thank God and my donor for each and every breath. I rediscovered cycling and have participated in many events. I enjoy spending time with my pup, Mia, family and friends. I want to continue giving back by CF awareness and the need for organ donation, because of someone’s gift of life to me. ⁣

How do you battle CF?

Original post here.

luisa-palazola replied 5 years, 2 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.