• Posted by jenny-livingston on January 27, 2020 at 3:26 pm

Hey y’all! We’re so thankful that Joe is our MCM. @joe_komitor is 23 years old and is from NY! Here are three things important to HIS story with CF (be sure to answer his Q in the comments!)⠀

😎I was diagnosed with CF at 18 months old in 1998. Growing up I had a relatively normal childhood and was really active with sports. I was very fortunate health wise during my elementary and middle school years, only being hospitalized once for a pulmonary exacerbation. My mom made sure (and still does) that I know how important compliance to my regiment truly is.⠀

😎About 6 years ago, around my 17th birthday I had my first hospitalization in over a decade. Since then it has been a progressive decline with over 2 dozen picc lines due to either exacerbations or bacteria colonizing inside of me. Things really started to downward spiral when I was a junior in college. I began to distance myself both emotionally and physically from people, because I felt as if no one knew what I was going through. In the spring of 2018 I had to leave during the semester, because I was too sick to continue. I was familiar with being sick but this time it was different than any other time. After this stint with IV’s, it took me a few months to physically feel somewhat okay but it was eye opening.⠀

😎It made me realize and more than anything, appreciate how precious life is. It lit a fire beneath me to accomplish as much as I can while I am still here. Somehow, that exacerbation in the spring of 2018 allowed me to see the light at the end of the tunnel and it has allowed me to keep moving forward. On December 8th, 2019 I started trikafta and my lung function has gone up double digits, looks the the fire will keep burning! ⠀

Q: CF has taught me to be grateful for those in my life, but what has CF taught you?

jenny-livingston replied 4 years, 2 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.