This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  nicholas bell 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     Luisa Palazola 
    Keymaster

We’re excited to present Nicholas as our MCM! Here are 4 things important to @breathe__with__me story with CF: ⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    🌙 I spent the majority of my life hiding from CF. I was selective about who I told. This led to me being selective about who I’d do treatments around and when I would do them. I was healthy enough growing up that I was able to get away with skipping treatments and neglecting the fact that I have a chronic illness. I played sports. I love football. I went to the University of Nebraska. Go Huskers! I continued my education at Queens University where I got an MFA in Poetry. Staying physically fit helped me stay healthy, but I wish I would’ve stayed more compliant with treatments. Now at 35 years old, I do extra treatment(s) daily to make up for all the times I didn’t do them before.⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    🐺There’s a lot of people in the CF community who are dedicated to fitness and speak out on the benefits of staying physically active, but I think it’s equally important to stay mentally fit. As humans (especially men), we are conditioned to not talk about our mental health. It’s seen as a weakness, but I find there’s great strength in vulnerability. I wish everyone went to therapy. It wasn’t until I started going that I really learned how to deal with my disease head on. A friend of mine who’s Buddhist told me to “run towards your obstacles.” Those words saved my life.⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    🌙 I live in Omaha with my wife Kristin, our three dogs, and a mean ole’ kitty. They are my support system. As a young man with a chronic illness I never envisioned myself getting married. I thought that this illness would always be mine to carry alone, but ever since I’ve opened up about my experience with CF, my life has become rich with opportunity. ⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣
    🐺I run a program that sends poets into prisons to teach creative writing. This has been a lifelong dream of mine. One of the best ways for me to stay mentally fit is through writing. I hope to pass on my love for writing to as many people as possible. Navigating life as an adult with CF isn’t easy, so I write to express my emotions. I may have CF but it does not define who I am, only I can do that. ⁣⁣

For more information you can check out the IG link! https://www.instagram.com/p/BtwhB9PnrGd/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Amelia 
    Participant

I really relate to the comment about hiding from CF. It’s only been recently that I’ve started really talking about it. It’s something that I think can be hard to talk about because it always feels awkward.

nicholas bell 
      Participant

I agree it’s definitely awkward. Sometimes people can clam up and feel weird hearing that news. I also just longed to be “normal” never realizing that it was precisely this struggle (CF) that makes me who I am. And I’m happy with who I am.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account