Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Nutritional Philosophies: Where Do You Land?

• Nutritional Philosophies: Where Do You Land?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on August 27, 2020 at 10:51 am

My nutritional needs vary all the time, but I often come back to periods of eating “soft foods” to help myself digest. Ever since my fundoplication in 2015 (when I had to eat soft stuff for awhile because I was too swollen to swallow larger items), I’ve struggled with feeling “better” on soft, easy to digest, low-chew items, versus rough content.

After my colon was removed a couple of years ago, this has only increased, as I still get partial blockages if my food choices are dense.

I spent the past weekend really diving into soft but high-calorie foods as a way of keeping my weight up, but not taxing my digestive system. The less I chew, the better I feel… but how bad is this for me really?

As a dancer and health nerd, I’m sort of worried to admit this “out loud” because I’m already judging myself. Most of my diet is protein, fat and dairy, which is not generally advised for mucus production, and every time I try to go vegan (to match my moral principles) I both can’t consistently afford it, nor ignore the eventual GI distress.

I love a company called Kencko for their blended, pre-prepared fruit and veggie shakes (really tasty), but even those sometimes irritate if I go too wild. All in all, I sometimes feel a mental and moral disconnect between what I want to eat and how I believe others should eat, and what I actually put in my mouth.

Question: Do you have any specific foods you must avoid or any exact way of eating that helps your GI?

Let’s talk personal nutrition philosophies!

bailey-anne-vincent replied 3 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.