Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Should Doctors Judge How We Look?

• Should Doctors Judge How We Look?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on July 29, 2020 at 5:40 pm

I saw a tweet this week really struck me (so much so that I wrote a column about it). It was from @crutches and it said: “You cannot honestly look at the statistics of those who are denied care and respect in medical settings and think that diagnoses are easily accessed by the marginalized.”

A majority of patients with Cystic Fibrosis are diagnosed at birth, so perhaps we are not the typical example of long diagnostic journeys. However, have any of YOU felt that your race impacted your treatment in medicine over the years? Or even just “how you look”?

Personally, I definitely feel I have an advantage as a white “agreeable” woman (so say my charts) as opposed to BIPOC peers. Then again, I also have had socioeconomic hurdles throughout the years, as well as assumptions about my eating habits since I’m on thin side.

How much do you feel your appearance should play a part in the medicinal process?

bailey-anne-vincent replied 3 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.