• Posted by luisa-palazola on January 6, 2019 at 8:13 pm

As cliché as it sounds, my decision to study abroad, was one of the most fundamental and transformative decisions I ever made.

Granted the experience in Costa Rica was awesome and I met one of my now best friends. But, traveling out of the country for long periods of time with a chronic disease like CF presents obstacles that propel you into a growth and trust in yourself, that’s just incomparable to any other experience. I went into my trip depressed and anxious (I had just finished my undergraduate thesis) and I left feeling like I could take on the world, and in a sense, I had.

I was forced to reach out to the CF community there (as I had forgotten one of my meds), I had to learn how to explain my complex disease in Spanish, and I even ended up getting a really awful cold. It was my introduction to not only traveling alone, but my introduction to the power I wield within myself.

So what I’m trying to say is: it is possible to travel abroad with CF and even study abroad. And if you have the opportunity, the risks are worth it. Have y’all ever studied abroad?

luisa-palazola replied 5 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.