Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Treating CF Regimens, Medicines, and Physiotherapy Typical CF Treatments for people in the US

• Typical CF Treatments for people in the US

Posted by luisa-palazola on January 10, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Hey guys, so this isn’t a consolidated list, but I think it’s helpful to list all the basic treatments, medicines, and therapies we use. I know other countries have different approaches and protocol. But, maybe this list will be helpful.

Breathing treatments:
    – xopenex or albuteral as bronchodilators
    – pulmozyme (most patients are prescribed if they can tolerate it, it acts to thin mucus secretions)
    – hypertonic saline
    – inhaled antibiotic depending on what bacteria is cultured (the most common are: Tobi, Cayston, and Colymycin)

Airway clearance:
    – the Vest (I think the US is the only country that has this as a standard CPT method)
    – the flutter & acapella
    – manual chest physical therapy using hands/clapping on chest and back
    – PEP
    – exercise

Medicines:
    – Enzymes (depending on what brand works for the person, we have Zenpep, Creon, Pertzye, etc)
    – AQUADEKS (vitamin supplements)

Often times, we are admitted and treated with IV antibiotics for a minimum of two weeks. The antibiotic chosen depends on bacterial sensitivity. There’s quite a range of IV antibiotics, but I’ll list big names often used here. However, it’s incredibly important to remember that these medicines are chosen based on bacterial sensitivity.

– Ceftaz
    – Tobramycin
    – meropenem
    – Vancomycin

To administer IV’s, most people have either a semi permanent catheter called a PICC line or they have a surgically placed apparatus called a Port a Cath.

I am not too well versed in GI medications and surgeries. However I know when people have difficulty gaining weight, there are various food supplementations given like scandi shakes, or a g-tube or mickey button is placed, to deliver formula.

luisa-palazola replied 5 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.